Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 18:26:28 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Beyond Resolute Moose:

<<I've heard it suggested that Leica was in a bind, as they could only continue
to lay claim to the top by meeting or beating Zeiss at the super-monster, super
performance game:

<<OTUS 55/1.4 - 12 elements in 10 groups. One double-sided aspheric lens and
six lenses anomalous partial dispersion glass elements.
<<92x141 mm, 970 g.

<<Leica SL 50/1.4 - 11 elements in 9 groups. Two aspherical elements and four
<<anomalous partial dispersion glass elements.
<<88x124 mm, 1065 g. (A bit smaller - but heavier.)

<<I'm not claiming, BTW, that these aren't fabulous lenses. I imagine they are.
It will be a while before we know, if it is possible to know such a thing,
which is the performance winner.

<<I do know that my Oly 25/1.8 and HR mode on the E-M5 II will resolve as much
or more detail as this lens on an SL - when shooting unmoving things. ;-)

Hard to fathom the Leica 50---clearly migrated away the diminutive RF lens
design. The new Zony 50/1.4 has quite impressive MTF--perhaps better than the
Otus at much less cost and suspect better at least in that respect than the
Leica..
I think AG may have a bit of  the incurable red dot fascination syndrome.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1441282/0

Roger did not quite have a perfect bit of glass to exactly simulate the proper
sensor stack  so the fall in MTF in midfield he states is likely  artifactual.
As far as rendering differences/superiority, it is hard to know right now but
it is significantly smaller and less dinero.
Curiously the Leica uses  metadata software correction to eliminate some barrel
distortion.  There are a good number of full frame nifty fifties that are
nearly as good and lighter on the wallet and shoulder but w/o AF on the Leica
body of course.

Mike