Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 20:31:39 -0800
. . .
Hard to fathom the Leica 50---clearly migrated away the diminutive RF lens
design. The new Zony 50/1.4 has quite impressive MTF--perhaps better than the
Otus at much less cost and suspect better at least in that respect than the
Leica..
I think AG may have a bit of  the incurable red dot fascination syndrome.

Whereas I have RotPunct phobia. Sometimes fascinated indeed, but in more like the fascination with a tiger facing me, sans bars.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1441282/0

Roger did not quite have a perfect bit of glass to exactly simulate the proper
sensor stack  so the fall in MTF in midfield he states is likely  artifactual.

No such dips in the published Sony/Zeiss MTFs.

As far as rendering differences/superiority, it is hard to know right now but
it is significantly smaller and less dinero.

Now that's better, just less than double what I paid for the body it would work on. Still, I'll pass. Yet another vintage lens on its way, but one all about sharpness.

Curiously the Leica uses  metadata software correction to eliminate some barrel
distortion.

That boggles my mind. I can't see any reason, with that many and that fancy elements, not to get the linearity right. Unless, of course, it's some tiny amount that no one would have noticed before we got all this super test gear and software.

There are a good number of full frame nifty fifties that are nearly as good and
lighter on the wallet and shoulder but w/o AF on the Leica body of course.

Oddly enough, I'm not concerned about having AF on an SL body. ;-)

Lady and the Tiger Moose