Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:38:54 -0500
I would discount this review and assume that he had a bad sample or
un-updated firmware on the basis that he says the autofocus is awful.  The
autofocus is perfect.  I have never had the camera with the Summilux search
and search as he describes.  It snaps into focus immediately with no
searching.  I've used the one point focusing and the facial recognition and
they are so fast it's amazing. On the facial recognition, if there is no
face, it automatically defaults to multiple focus points.  I have been
using mine almost exclusively at 1.4 and the focus is spot on.  Much better
than I could ever do manually.

He needs to get another sample or update the one he has.

Tina

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   <<  Curiously the Leica uses  metadata software correction to eliminate
> some barrel
>   <<  distortion.
>

> It might be  a Lady but it will eat your wallet Moose replies:
> That boggles my mind. I can't see any reason, with that many and that
> fancy elements, not to get the linearity right. Unless, of course, it's
> some tiny amount that no one would have noticed before we got all this
> super test gear and software.
>

> The barrel distortion is quite  readily visible in a Moose-like rollover
> in this review:
>
> http://www.jupitersnake.com/review/50-summilux-sl-f1-4-review-first-look/
>
> They chose this path for a  a good reason that remains mysterious.
>
> I'll choose the 3rd door, Mike
>
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com