Re: [OM] IMG: Utensils Again Update

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Utensils Again Update
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 23:05:40 -0600
:-)

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 12/25/2016 6:49 PM, Moose wrote:
On 12/22/2016 8:54 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Funny. I do indeed have 20/10 vision, but I feel it was a different sort of visual acuity at work here. I know what that kind of pottery looks and
feels like, and the first versions didn't 'feel' right. Looking more
closely/critically, I found that the reason was noise that gave a slightly
rough texture to the appearance of the glaze.
And I felt exactly the opposite. I know that that glaze has texture to
it. That's the natural "flaw" to the process and materials.

That's not my experience of that sort of pottery that I've known. I recall a slightly 'rustic' creation, with occasional, small lacunae, were the glaze wasn't applied perfectly and occasional rough spots, where something in the clay stuck up or something hard got into the glaze. Between these anomalies, however, it was very smooth and shiny - to touch, as well as sight.

However,
in person, we have two eyes looking at the object and we have a
built-in texture-averaging and noise-reduction mechanism in our visual
system that is based on edge-detect and motion sensing. The rest of
our vision is based on "content aware fill".

Therefore, the first version was much more accurate to the surface
characteristics, but the second version was more representative of how
we would have seen it in person.

Both are great, both are accurate, both are true, but the artistic
intent is different.

Nah, I think we are going to have to meet in Tullahoma, and see what it's really like. :-)

No earlier than May, though.

Spring Moose