Re: [OM] New Laptop needs migration help

Subject: Re: [OM] New Laptop needs migration help
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:44:47 +1030
Are they the same OS (assumption is we're dealing with 'doze variants)?

If not, there will be problems with dynamic libraries (.DLL), so better
to reinstall spplications from original media (with compatibility modes
as required), followed by deinstall from the old machine as necessary to
comply with licence requirements.

If so, W8 & 10 use an internal BIOS function to key themselves to the
hardware (I believe the globally-unique ethernet MAC address is part of
this), so simply cloning/swapping the old disk into the new machine
likely won't work, without some sort of OS reinstall/repair/reactivation
process.

Hope this is of use :)

davidt