Re: [OM] New Laptop needs migration help

Subject: Re: [OM] New Laptop needs migration help
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:36:42 -0800
On 12/28/2016 10:24 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Thread drift alert:

So if one is contemplating upgrading hardware in the near future ... like 2017... should I bite the bullet and upgrade to W10 now while it's still a free upgrade? Not sure how many hardware changes one can get away with these days. I have the full enchilada ver of W7x64pro and so far a phone call is all it takes. This included a MB swap but it was a warranty replacement of the same model (W7 picked up the different SN#) and a video card upgrade.

To all you beta testers ;) has W10 matured enough for prime time? Or should I
just reinstall Win7?

Do you need the W98 virtual machine? As long as I do, W7x64Pro stays.

Does W10 offer anything you need?

Do you believe they will actually charge for W10 eventually?

Does it matter, as one need only wait until it comes with new hardware? I've not upgraded Win since about forever. I just wait for the need for new hardware to bring it to me.

My new portable came with W10, and needs it, as it folds over to become a tablet. I find it mildly annoying, but workable. OTOH, leaving aside the touch screen tablet stuff that doesn't apply, I don't see any advantage over the Win7 on my desktop.

The big corps only just moved to Win7 in the last year or two. It's going to be
supported for ages.

Stand Pat Moose