[OM] OT: Telephone Spying Again

Subject: [OM] OT: Telephone Spying Again
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:01:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     My odd problem with telemarketers calling immediately after making a loud
noise hasn't happened much, until these past few days.  Early this afternoon I
came home after a long drive.  I closed the front door firmly, and in less than
a minute the phone rang with a telemarketer on the other end.

     Earlier this year I looked extensively online for any information about
this, and I learned that many of our electronic phones, such as cordless, leave
the microphone alive when the phone is not in use, what's known as "live mike"
or "hot mike".  I'm not certain if this is true for all such phones, but it
appears to be true for my AT&T cordless phone set.

     I'll have to look into my older textbooks on telephony and see how our
mechanical telephones disconnected the earpiece and microphone when the handset
is in the cradle.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson