Re: [OM] Last flutterbys of 2016

Subject: Re: [OM] Last flutterbys of 2016
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:29:07 -0800
On 12/26/2016 11:07 AM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
Occurred to me I never posted my last two shots.

These are nice. But shouldn't you have waited for the real depths of winter? :-)

We don't see many Buckeyes round these parts:

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro-2016/i-vLLb7xk/A

There was a very cooperative ETB that was in mottled sun.  After getting
several shots with stripes of shade from grass despite fill flash decided to
steep in front of the sun and
use main flash and ambient fill.

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro-2016/i-rjcccHk/A

My nurse/study coordinator wanted a small metal print and I did oblige, but
there is something not right with it.  I thought it might be a tad front
focuses  but I can see scales at 100% so that should be good enough.

Seems to me to be just plain old shallow DoF. Scales are clear, as is body hair, near the body. Move up and to the left, and is gets softer and softer. In the other direction, the front antenna curves forward out of focus. So sure, focus a tiny bit back might help overall, but not much.

OTOH, the body hairs and trailing edges of the wings, where they are sharp, show no signs I can see of subject movement blurring.

Given your description of the patience (or sluggishness from cold?) of the flutterer, this would be a perfect case for Oly focus bracketing. I have it on a button, so instantly available. Even without that, I would likely have done a handful, at least front, middle and back, for stacking. Often it doesn't work, but sometimes, it works very well.

Dr. Flash taught me that with flash there are always 2 exposures. This is quite a small b'fly and the mag fairly high. Suspect there is a tad of motion blur from the ambient exposure. The ETB was quite acclimated to me and should have tried a two shot stack form a 'pod which I dutifully lugged. Next time. Anyway, thought some might like a quick look-see.

And I did. :-)

Thinkin about chasin em again next Spring, Mike

Atta Boy!

Fluttering Moose