[OM] Telephoto lens tests

Subject: [OM] Telephoto lens tests
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 02:03:28 +1300

Hi All,

Recently I bought an Olympus AF 50-200mm ED f2.8-3.5 lens,
second-hand.
 Fortunately I was able to pay just 25% of the new price
for it.

I had the idea that I would take sharp, detailed photographs
of wild animals
 and birds that matched the wonderful quality of some
other brand equipment photos
 I've seen.

It seems to be in top
condition. Despite reviews saying it is a fairly small lens,
 I found it
to be a large and heavy lens. No problem with that - my assessment.

>From the first shot I took with it I had the opinion that it did not

deliver the wonderful images that Olympus and reviews said it would.

So I have done comparison shots with a range of other lenses, manual
and autofocus,
 which I have. One shot taken with the M5, the rest with
the E-3.
 All shots taken at the same spot 6 metres away, on heavy
tripod, at f/8, IS off.
 All photos taken within about 90 minutes; delay
caused by E-3 battery needing recharge.

These are the lenses I tested
(with the AF 50-200 ED f2.8-3.5 lens).

(a) M 40-150 @ 150
 (b) DZ
14-50 @ 50
 (c) DZ 40-150 @ 150
 (d) OM Zuiko 100/2
 (e) DZ 50-200 ED @
150
 (f) DZ 50-200 ED @ 200
 (g) OM Zuiko 200/4
 (h) OM Zuiko 300/4.5

(i) OM Zuiko 85-250 @ 150
 (j) OM Zuiko 85-250 @ 200
 (k) OM Zuiko
85-250 @ 250
 (l) OM Zuiko 180/2.8
 (m) OM Zuiko 135/3.5
 (n) OM Zuiko
100/2.8
 (o) OM Z 50 - 150 f/4 @ 150
 (p) Sigma APO 400/5

The tests
follow this page.

For each, there is a small image of the viewfinder view, followed by a
crop with just the
 lily flowers. These photos are jpegs straight out of
the camera, not further manipulated by me
 other than by cropping.

Comments etc welcome

Brian Swale