Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 00:37:36 +1300

 I have added 6 more shots of the DZ 50 - 200 ED lens images,
starting at

Remember ( as with all the crop shots) to view large, otherwise the
information on detail is not accessed.

Unfortunately, with a different
day, different time of day, and different light, from the first set,
this lot do not reveal the potential of the lens as well, since there
was no strong side-light to pick out the details.

The previous DZ
50-200 ED @ 200 (http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21327) is
clearly better than the f/4 version.

My conclusions have not altered
however. I wonder what they were smoking when
<http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/olympus/50-200mm-f2.8-3.5-zuiko-digital/review/[1]>
was written. Incidentally, I did read this, several times, before I
plonked my money down.

Now I have to decide if I will try and get my
$550 back through selling it. Won't be an easy task to sell it.

From
my test, the following yield significantly sharper results;

M 40-150
(and yet I was previously dissatisfied with the results from this lens -
but in comparison with its big brother, it is a clear winner)

the OM
Zuiko 200/4 is a good challenger

the Zuiko 300/4.5 is head and
shoulders above the DZ 50 - 200

the OM Zuiko 85-250 @ 150 is about
equal to the DZ 50 - 200, and at 250 it could be superior

the OM Zuiko
180/2.8 is equal or better at f/8

and the humble OM Zuiko 135/3.5
punches above its weight. Unfortunately I don't have the f/2.8 version
to test.

the Sigma APO 400/5 which I had previously written off as a
bad job, is surprisingly very sharp in the places where its focus is
spot on. Even at f/8 the DOF is tiny.

on reviewing the crop 100% DZ
50-200 ED @ 200 & f/4 again, I guess I need to give this lens some more
tests.

Clearly, choosing the autofocus zone is of crucial importance.

This has been an interesting test. Viewing the images large on Zone10
(and where very large moving them around the screen using the keyboard
arrow keys) has yielded more information than I can get from the images
on my computer, even on my new big screen.

It's now 37 minutes into
2017.

Cheers, Brian