Re: [OM] High Speed Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] High Speed Trains
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 06:49:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Initially, I'm impressed with this.  They've added tilting so that the
speed can be increased without building dedicated high-speed track corridors
such as the French LGV, though the present trackage will need to up upgraded to
handle the higher side loading as was done in France for the non-LGV trackage.

     And they've reverted to the TGV configuration of a single set of wheels
between carriages instead of our traditional two sets of wheels per carriage.
That alone is a significant change, and was a feature of the TGV from the
beginning that improves survival in a high-speed derailment.

     It's also interesting to see how the ridership of the present Acela has
increased.  Maybe there's hope for passenger rail service in this country after
all.

>http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2016/8/alstom-to-provide-amtrak-with-its-new-generation-of-high-speed-train/

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson