Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 07:12:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I've had similar disappointments over the years, having bought and tried a
number of "legacy" MF telephoto zoom lenses.  After all of that, I've yet to
find anything that performs as well as my Samyang 100-500/5.6-7.1.  It's a bit
heavy, but it includes a tripod mounting ring and the balance with an
E-500/510/520 is pretty good.  Ther's presently one of these with the OM mount
on evilBay at a bargain price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samyang-Auto-Zoom-Lens-100-500mm-f5-6-with-Macro-For-Olympus-/291984016883?hash=item43fb9a85f3:g:784AAOSw44BYRylG

    Even so, I still much prefer my older Vivitar TX 75-260/4.5 for field work
as it is smaller, lighter, and is a 2-touch focus/zoom.

     <<SNIP>>

>So I have done comparison shots with a range of other lenses,
>manual and autofocus, which I have. One shot taken with the M5,
>the rest with the E-3.  All shots taken at the same spot 6
>metres away, on heavy tripod, at f/8, IS off.  All photos taken
>within about 90 minutes; delay caused by E-3 battery needing
>recharge.

     <<SNIP>>

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson