Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests - R1

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests - R1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 16:38:03 -0800
On 12/30/2016 2:33 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Brief response; Moose wrote;
. . .

I just don't see the point in making a telephoto lens extending to 200mm or
whatever
and having the resolution at the max distance to be sub-optimal. Weird thinking.

Especially having the sweet spot at 70mm ??? What were they thinking.

Impractical logic that ignores the laws of optics and the practical realities
of photography - and is thus useless.

You might as well say of prime lenses "I just don't see the point in making a lens opening to f2 or whatever and having the resolution be sub-optimal. Weird thinking." If designers and manufacturers thought that way, all your 4/3 lenses would be f4-f5.6 only, no greater of smaller apertures.

Or you might say, "I just don't see the point in making a lens covering a frame and having the resolution at be sub-optimal outside the center. Weird thinking." Ah, so you want to shoot only with big lenses on tiny sensors?

All lenses vary in the quality of their image with variation of aperture, focal distance, distance from the optical center and other factors. Read the review again. It says the lens is excellent at all focal lengths, but peaks at 70 mm. If it meets the design criteria @ 200 mm, and it's impossible, too expensive - or just plain stupid - to make it no better than that at any other FL, that's not a conceptual or design failure.

In the case of long lenses, in particular, it's often not possible to get physically closer, and a cropped 70 mm image will still have less IQ at any given display size of the subject than a 200 mm shot without cropping.

I just browsed the user reviews on Amazon and B&H. ALL of them say the resolution is great to spectacular. The tiny $ of poor reviews are about other things, like focus speed.

Moose