Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests - R3

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests - R3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 21:05:52 -0800

On 1/1/2017 4:31 PM, Moose wrote:
On 12/30/2016 2:33 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

. . . I do envy the kinds of result that people with canyon gear get with wildlife such as albatrosses on the wing ( LARGE birds) etc. Sometimes hand-held too.

You are conflating separate things. The latest µ4/3 cameras and lenses are said to be competitive with the Canon gear for such work.

Your gear is not - but not because your lens is not sharp (which is where this madness ostensibly started). Focusing on a bird on the wing requires superior focus performance, on the part of both camera AF system and lens response. You have purchased the first version of the 50-200, not the later one with SWF focus motor. Even if the E-3 were good at fast and/or follow focus AF, and it isn't, the lens AF would make such shots extremely difficult/impossible.

One major difference between Canikon professional DSLRs and their entry level and enthusiast bodies is the AF system, with more, better AF points and more, faster, processing power.

With the E-M1 II, initial reports seem to indicate that µ4/3 has caught up with pro gear from Canon and Nikon. Whether the SWF 50-200 with adapter on that body would do the job, I don't know. The Oly 300/4 and Panny 100-400 will do so.

The advantage the best µ4/3 gear has over Canikon Pro gear is much less size and weight (and many fewer $) and amazing IS, so that hand held is really good.

I do know that the Oly 75-300 is capable of rather good bird detail.

Acorn Woodpecker. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Henry_Cowell_Redwoods&image=_1160103croof.jpg>

A few more. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21401>

The pelicans image is a combination of good Camera response and surprising
photographer reflexes. :-)

For the Scrub Jay, you can see the original Raw capture, finished portrait and a 100% detail sample. This shot could be made with an E-M5. But to hold the highlights, you would have to break your apparent rule and use negative EV compensation.

With the yellow Wilson's Warbler, I was lucky, got off two shots with slightly different focal distances before it took off, and combined them for the relatively good DoF.

I have many other good bird, butterfly, mammal, etc. images taken with that combo. I particularly mention it because I've got a lot of great wildlife images with it AND the 75-300 is reasonably priced and readily available used. OTOH, getting the best out of it requires shooting Raw and using decent quality software. (The 50-200 you have may (or may not) be better optically, but it's AF isn't up to this kind of work.)

The real was to make the kind of images you envy, at least in gear, is the E-M1 II Oly 300/4 and/or PLeica 100/400. The 100-400 is a big step up from the 75-300 in reach and image quality - and $, size & weight.

Moose