Re: [OM] Camera bag shenanigans

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera bag shenanigans
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 19:57:02 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Melange Moose writes:

<<Well, I have yet to haul it around for hours on the trail. There is another
player about to be officially announced, a PLeica 12-60/2.8-4. The current,
relatively recent, Panny 12-60 is a decent, but uninspiring lens, far inferior
IQ to the 12-100. The new PLeica will be about 60% <<the weight of the 12-100
about the same size and a little lighter than the Oly 12-40/2.8.

Here it is for pre-order:

https://www.adorama.com/ipc1260l.html?EmailPrice=T

Not much leaked that I saw.  Yet another slowish nl range zoom--has to hit it
out of the park to make it interesting.  It does go to 0.6X (FF)--prolly at
long end which is more than the Oly 12-100.  I have not seen many sample
images.  Thoughts on this beast for 1K?

Another thing bothered me on the purple halos with the new Panny 42.5/1.7
---one example here :  scroll down.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G_42-5mm_f1-7_H_HS043E/

I wonder if he used an Oly body for the shot?--can't tell from work and not
sure if have exif.  It  strongly reminds me of the UV issue using Panny lenses
on Oly--not sure I've seen that mentioned on list.  Perhaps that is the whole
issue.   Also since em-1 I think Oly does read CA metadata on Oly lenses and
have read with Panny lenses too---not sure about the latter.  Anyone know for
sure?

UV filters in Oly bodies cut off at 390 and Panny at 430 with lens designs
taking that into account.   I have read that Oly lenses have some secret sauce
UV filtering as well, but that is hearsay.  So Panny lenses on Oly bodies can
get purple fringing  especially in OOF specular highlights related to this.  I
did find  one link though it is not where I first saw this.

 http://alanwatsonforster.org/writing/mft-purple.html

Interesting?  (A bit unsettling too)

Perhaps DXO ameliorates this effect in software as they do their own CA
analysis.  Oly and Panny need(ed) to cooperate a tad more.

Purple haze, Mike