Re: [OM] IMG: My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 11:27:21 -0600
> Thanks for sharing your insights, Philippe.  I am getting ready to attempt
> to select a file structure that fits my picture taking habits, i.e., Family,
> Little League, Airport, Skydiving, maybe even Pretty Girls. :-)

That works too. Of course, you'll have to have sub-directories and
indexes for the last category.

I am still in the pre-rationalization stage of my indexing system. For
the most part, all of my digital camera files are sorted by year and
capture date in the directories. So, from 2006 on, I can jump to any
year/date and get to what I want. However, I have also renamed many of
the directories by adding the subject to the directory name. So
instead of "2017-01-06" it's "2017-01-06 Green Lake State Park".

With the film scans it is a little different. For all the slides, I
follow the same methodology as my hanging files. Everything is
categorized. So, I can grab the hanging folder that says "Swans" and
those same scanned images will appear in a directory called "Swans".
But for roll-film, I have index numbered the rolls and I scan them
into directories by that same index number. Like the camera files, if
they are of a particular subject, I'll put the subject after the index
number. When I can be bothered to do so, I do add the subject matter
into the image description field in Lightroom, but haven't done much
of that because then I'm trapped forever into Lightroom.

Lightroom does have one feature that is extremely valuable to me. It's
the folder syncronization tool. When I add scans to the drive, all I
have to do is sync the "scans" folder and it automatically adds those
images to the Lightroom catalog. No muss, no fuss.

I have hundreds of ClearFile archival sheets of negs to eventually get
around to scanning. Just taking a wild guess, but probably 300 hundred
of them. Over the past two years, I've averaged two rolls a week
getting scanned. It's a long process and not easy getting reliably
good automated scans on B&W film. Not much impetus for that, though,
because I still have my darkroom and I have no pressing urgency to
digitize the entire library. When I do eventually shutter the darkroom
for the final time, I do plan on off-siting the negs to a safe and
secure archival location for backup. But for now, they are as safe and
secure as anything else. Just a reminder that the Bible tells us that
we are nothing but a vapor in the timeline of this world.

AG (vapors) Schnozz