Re: [OM] OT: Ft. Lauderdale.

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Ft. Lauderdale.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 14:39:01 -0800
On 1/6/2017 10:28 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
On a per capita basis, thus correcting for population size differences, the USA
has by far the highest rate of gun homicides and gun deaths in general:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/

Three times that of the nearest “competititor”, Finland (where the relatively
high rate is driven by suicides).

Assuming that places like Syria aren't in the running, we are the Champions!

Yes, we are the crazy, violent place. Except when we're not, as in most times and places in this large, wildly diverse place.

But my response to John was more specific than just violent and gun related deaths. He cites "... these mass shootings in the USA are becoming as common as daily football and baseball scores!" and rants on, without any numbers at all, let alone per capita.

Straight data, let alone clear definitions*, on "mass shootings" is hard to come by. There are some in Canada, and more in the US, but population adjusted rates are obscure.

Straight Records Moose

* Including terrorist acts (how defined), or not? And so on.