Re: [OM] Opinions on Canon equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions on Canon equipment
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 23:51:02 -0600
I can't speak to the lenses, as I'm 100% Zuikos on everything. OK,
there is one interloper Tokina in there, but you get the idea as I
have no Canon lenses.

The Canon 6D, however, is something I can speak about.

I picked up mine, used, and it has over a quarter-million shutter
actuations. So, I'm going to say that the reliability and
build-quality is more than sufficient. It's not quite the E-1, with
armor-plating of an M1 Abrams tank, but it isn't a typical plastic
fantastic either. I've had mine rain-soaked and coated with ice. It is
sealed, but to a lower grade than the top-tier cameras, so I wouldn't
probably treat it quite like I treat an E-1, but I'm certainly not shy
about threatening it with abuse either. The battery compartment door
is easily the worst sealed part of the camera with the memory card
door a close second.

Image quality is always going to be one of those subjective things,
but other than a few niggles that only I seem to see in my mind,
according to others, it's a rock-solid imager.

Handling is also one of those subjective things, but the 6D is a
complete yawner. Nothing exciting about it, but also nothing that
stands in your way. It has the personality of cream-colored
wall-paper. If you are expecting that something extra that Olympus
seems to gift you with, it won't be in the 6D. It just is. It's the
minivan of cameras. The control layout of the 6D is not nearly as good
as the 5Dmk4. Not bad, just not as good. You won't get lost, but you
won't feel like exploring the side-streets of this camera either.

I have Magic Lantern installed on mine and it really does make a
difference, and is highly recommended. Not just for video application,
but for fancy tricks like interval-shooting, trap-focus,
trap-movement, trap-lighting... I had uninstalled the program for a
couple of days and realized just how incomplete the camera is without
it.

The 6D is the lightest and most affordable full-frame camera on the
market right now. If you still want an optical viewfinder, it's the
second best camera in class behind it's bigger brother, the 5D mk4.
The 5D's viewfinder is better in some regards, but the 6D is also a
little better for manual-focusing. The information display in the 6D
is a generation behind. The monitor on the back of the 6D does get
some surface wear as it doesn't have the same type of protective
glass.

If all else were equal, and cost was not an issue, I would probably
lean towards the SONYs first, the 5Dmk4 second, and the 6D third.
Nikons are also a good way to go if you are into that kind of
thing--I'm not judging. The Leicas actually would be first choice if
money was no object.

However, for a travel camera, where size and weight DO make a
difference, and a more affordable camera may result in more aggressive
risk taking in getting shots, the 6D is absolutely the first choice in
full-frame cameras.

All this may be a moot point as the new 6d Mk2 is about to be released.

One side note on accessories. I have the battery grip for mine too. I
rarely use it as it about doubles the weight of the camera without
significantly increasing any usability. With a really big and heavy
camera, I do like the grip, and when I'm doing a lot of video work, I
do like the grip, but for handheld photography and when I'm using my
jewel-like OM Zuikos, absolutely not. It adds a lot of weight to the
camera without a significant improvement in gripability that offsets
the weight gain. (Canon bodies have that design flaw where my finger
tips of my right hand are getting sanded off by the body).

The camera has met and exceeded all of my expectations and raised my
expectations artificially higher. Being able to shoot at ISO 12800 and
above is liberating. I have no regrets about this purchase and would
do it again. That said, if I was to buy a brand new camera at
$2000-3000, I personally would go with one that has an EVF. I think
that Sony has the better viewfinder (EVF vs OVF) and subjectively, it
certainly has the better sensor. Canon sensors are a little behind
SONY right now. What Canon has as a huge advantage is superior
availability of excellent lenses in every price category, a massive
install base and a support system that traditionally has been second
to none. And you can borrow lenses from anybody around you.

You absolutely would NOT make a mistake having the 6D.

AG Schnozz