Re: [OM] IMG: My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom
From: Nicholas Travers <stawastawa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 15:40:52 -0800
Moose thank you for sharing details of how you work with image files.

As Chris mentioned, in lightroom you can 'edit in photoshop' with any image
and either choose to use any acr edits from LR's develop or to do that as
opening it in PS (been a while since I have done the former).
When you finish in Photoshop the image is saved as a .tiff or .psd and
added to the lightroom catalogue (saved wherever you want it saved).  LR
then still allows you to use the develop module to apply some adjustments
if you still need to make minor changes later, or to open the whole file in
PS and continue your extensive layer based work.

Sounds like FastStone is working for you, but if you already have one foot
in the door to use the maps of LR I would think converting to useing LR
would be a good idea.  (I have never used faststone)

You can mitigate some of the slow rendering times with LR by having smaller
catalogues or using small preview sizes.  I personally use LR's
SmartPreviews for all my files and have the actual RAW files stored
externally which I access only when I need to do deeper PS work that LR
can't take care of.

-- Nicholas Travers
    shoot film <https://lifeofstawa.wordpress.com/portfolio/>
    read books