[OM] A question about sensors

Subject: [OM] A question about sensors
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:17:46 -0600
I've been puzzling over m4/3 vs. FF for a while. I'm hoping Moose/AG, etal
can help me.

My question now is stimulated by a recent camera review that stated "FF
sensors collect 4 times as much information as M4/3" ... presumably based
on the difference in sensor size.  My initial response:  "really" ?

My question has two parts.

1.  For FF and M/43 sensors with the same pixel count,  say 20meg,  is the
actual amount of information collected significantly different?  (I think I
understand the issues of dynamic range and LOF and high ISO noise,  but I'd
thought these are artifacts of the circuits and lenses used, not the amount
of information per se.)   I suppose this is the same question:  for FF and
M/43 with the same pixel count, would the RAW files be the same size?

2.  As FF sensors increase in pixel count, say to 60meg, will they begin to
exhibit similar issues of dynamic range and high ISO noise because of the
density of the circuits approaching that of the m4/3 sensors?

Thanks.

Bob