Re: [OM] OT: Car Repairs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Car Repairs
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:49:57 -0500
Our 1989 Landcruiser is still going strong.  We get notes on the windshield
all the time asking to buy it.  The parts now have to come from Japan or a
junkyard.  The power steering cable went out and we haven't found a
replacement yet.  Toyota wanted to make one for $200.  Tom said he'd rather
buy one from a junkyard for $20.  In the meantime, I'm really building up
my arm muscles driving the thing!!

Tina

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>      Well, it finally happened.  Something here broke and I couldn't fix
> it.  My 2000 Toyota pickup did not pass emissions, and I was not
> surprised.  I've had an intermittent "check engine" light for the past year
> and a half, but when I go to look it's still there.  I had the problem
> checked and I knew it was one of the two oxygen sensors, but it wasn't
> burning oil and the fuel economy actually improved.
>
>      But, not passing emissions is a serious matter, so I took it to a
> nearby Toyota dealership.  They found that the EGR valve had failed in the
> closed position, so the exhaust was not being recirculated to the intake.
> That explains why my fuel economy had improved and why the spark plugs were
> clean.  Replacing the EGR valve and a couple of associated parts that had
> also failed is going to cost me around $1,000.  Not bad, considering that
> it's 17 years old (almost to the day), has 209,000 miles, not burning any
> oil, and has never had any work done on it other than me doing the oil
> changes and tuneups and having a shop do the chassis lube, front bearing
> repack, and brakes.
>
>      It's actually a pretty good testimony to the overall quality of the
> Toyota product of that time.  It's no wonder that I'm occasionally asked if
> I would sell it.
>

> Chris
>
> When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
>      - Hunter S. Thompson
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com