Re: [OM] IMG: My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 17:18:13 +0000
There's definitely a go/no-go type of filter for displaying images either
with or without geotags. I do not know if there's a better choice than that
at present.

There's an inexpensive (and frequently updated) e-book called "Digikam
Recipes" available that may have more detail about that. I have a copy and
will check, if that's worthwhile to you.

My own workflow uses Digikam's regular tagging feature to handle location.
As I add tags to new images, I also tag location, not by lat/long but by
geographic place name.

My particular use of Digikam files pictures by date taken, in a system
folder hierarchy of year-->month-->day. It allows for quick import without
trying to categorize the images. For me categorization is far more easily
handled via tagging.

Once added to the appropriate folder, which Digikam displays in its
"Albums" listing on screen left, I select pics in groups based on tags to
be applied. So, as an example, if all the pictures on Jan 13, 2017 were
taken here at the house, I select the group and tag them as "Mexico, San
Felipe, Las Arenas, Our house". That's five clicks, one to add each
location, then a fifth to apply the tags. It's then possible to filter and
search on date and location easily.

Tags are cumulative. Adding additional tags later does not remove previous
tags. So adding a tag for "construction" can be done just by selecting a
new group of images for which it applies, clicking (or adding) the new tag,
and applying.

Probably not what you're wanting, but it does work, at least for me.

And finally, before this gets seriously longer, as Digikam is open source,
you can always request a feature. It's also possible to propose such an
addition publicly and see if there are a like-minded group of folks who
might band together to finance the addition.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 4:40 PM Mike Gordon via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Scott writes:
> <<<I've been using Digikam for years now,...
>
> Digikam looks good but after a cursory review of its features,  I don't
> see that it can filter/search images  by location from geotags.  Moose
> really likes that feature and  I would  really like that capability.
> Photodirector  might be able to--it seems to get good reviews for its
> image organization features.   I think CH likes their video software.  I
> need another  full image editing package like a hole in the head, though .
>
> Trying to improve organization/ searchability, Mike
>
> --
>
> --
---
Scott