Re: [OM] Suggestions to improve image display on Sony Bravia????

Subject: Re: [OM] Suggestions to improve image display on Sony Bravia????
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 21:25:05 -0800
The easiest way for a bunch of people to see travel images is on the TV--this
weekend our guest had images on their phone of course.  I strongly prefer my
calibrated monitor but that can be a pain.
I dutifully had them download the Roku app and it successfully synced to our Roku stick
on our Oppo 103 universal player linked to our AVR.   Everything "worked" but I
cringed with the over-saturated/blown channel, poor resolution images.  I concentrated on
the content after a while but is was difficult. For example purple wildflowers showed
absolutely no tonal detail and clearly a clipped channel and highlights often terribly
blown.  They were much better on the phone.

   I have not calibrated the TV and one can do that I think with custom
settings for each input.   Our Sony XBR6 supports 1080P max for video.  I
assume that is where the problem lies, but could be anywhere along the image
chain. . . .

  I clearly need to fix this image display issue soon.

You can probably eliminate the disc player and AVR. I'd never tried this before, but I got images with no fuss. Our TV has three HDMI inputs, nicely filled with DVR, Roku and BDP. So it's Roku straight into TV, with no intermediaries.

The images were a mixed bag, with some pretty good, but many with poor color, especially skin, and any with bright highlights leaning toward blown.

Another test likely eliminates the Roku. I copied some iPhone images to an SD card, plugged it into our BDP and viewed them that way. Very much like those viewed using the Roku. So the problem is most likely the TV, and it sounds like ours may not be as bad as yours.

We have extensive image adjustment options, which I believe are specific to input. But there's the rub. We watch streaming videos on the Roku, so changes I make for stills would affect the video. If you are running everything through the AVR, and into one HDMI port, it would affect everything.

If you have an extra HDMI port on the TV, you could get a second Roku stick to go directly in there, and adjust that input just for stills. I believe the Roku app can select between different Rokus.

Or you could adjust for stills, record the settings, reset for normal use and
set up manually for those special occasions.

Multiple Input Moose