Re: [OM] As to your old Western Electric Candlestick phone,

Subject: Re: [OM] As to your old Western Electric Candlestick phone,
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 22:49:20 -0600
The old phones had carbon microphones, and time often make them less useful, but a sharp rap on a hard surface may well fix things.

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Trask
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 7:15 PM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion ; 1

Using an authentic candlestick phone you learn why is seems in movies from the 1930s that people sometimes seem to be yelling into them. Those old microphones were not very sensitive. And you learn how to dial with the earpiece cradle.

As to your old Western Electric Candlestick phone,....

Our old Kellogg Redbar was our only working phone in the house last week
when the power went out. Useful _and_ attractive.

<http://www.oldphoneworks.com/images/P/kellogg%201100.JPG> (borrowed images)

And I have a Western Electric exactly like this one out in the shop.

<https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/98/39/6e9839a93053dc6dc1cf40e68cd4ec19.jpg>

No power, no signal, so you gotta keep the old tech.

Chris

    - Hunter S. Thompson