Re: [OM] Suggestions to improve image display on Sony Bravia????

Subject: Re: [OM] Suggestions to improve image display on Sony Bravia????
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 19:19:22 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Traffic Danger Moose writes:
<<<Why not plug your Roku directly into the TV?

Yes, you spot everything.  This one was a bit of streamlined version w/o remote
for 49 bucks that plugs into a MHL port on the Oppo  and uses the Oppo remote.
The Oppo is great.  Unlike the AVR it just works--if the disk spins, it will
read it..  Firmware updates with permission w/o any hitch via wifi as needed.
It is a Leica of universal players.  I wish my other AV gear were as good.
The minimalist  Roku stick works (ed)  fine for usual stuff.  (as soon as I can
fix the AVR again that is)  There are newer fuller featured Roku sticks that
support screen mirroring etc, but it is hard to keep up.

<<<Does it need "real" calibration? If just for viewing visitors' phone images,
wouldn't just tuning it by eye on a handful of good images, including people,
do?

I don't know, but Roku has a Smugmug app too---and for MY images, after all the
effort, should be displayed as well as possible.  I am told it does
resizing/sharpening on the fly and has reasonable reviews..
I had not mentioned the Smugmug issue in last post and agree ball park for most
 guest phone images is probably OK.  I surmise  that  Bravia TV should  be able
to perform much better for Jpegs then I am seeing now.
There are probably some techniques to get close results using  expensive
calibration tools.

Carol has had a long haul to recover from that nasty fracture.  Glad she is
progressing well.

Mike