Re: [OM] IMG: Fire Ants Magnified

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Fire Ants Magnified
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:28:29 -0800
On 1/18/2017 1:13 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Philippe suggested that I try the Leica-R 60 Macro at "capturing" my ant infestation, so I gave it a try. While watching carefully for ants around my feet, I got the lens within about 8 inches of the mound, close enough that the grains of pulverized earth are clearly visible. It is characteristic of these ants that they vary in size, as these two show. They are smaller than I expected, and extremely active when disturbed. They blend in with the mound in color, so one must look very closely to spot their activity. This is a 100% crop from the X-E1.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Fire+Ants+81.JPG.html

The photographer is willing, but the gear is weak. ;-)

Old days, OMZ 135/4.5 Macro on 65-116 tube, Kiron 105/2.5, Tamron 90/2.5 with matching 2x converter = 180/5 <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Tam902.5/pages/wasp.htm>

Now, PLeica 100-400 with Nikon 5T C-U lens.

I'm guessing the Fuji 100-400 is overkill for this one use. :-)

C. U. Moose