Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Phood Phetishes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Phood Phetishes
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:52:56 -0600
Chris, I seem to recall that Heinz gave up on pickles. Glad you found some good sauerkraut.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 1/22/2017 12:48 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
      At some time or another, everyone has opinions about food.  One came up
here this morning.

      For the football conference championships today, I wanted to chow down on
something pleasurable, meaning bratwurst on sauerkraut with mustard.  No
contest on the mustard: Trader Joe's Dijon, which has a touch of horseradish
for a nice zing.  Oddly, the bratwurst is a chain grocery deli brand, which has
very little fat, though I would like a thinner casing.

      But then there's the sauerkraut.  We used to be able to get a really nice
western New York variety here: Silverfloss.  Not any more.  The canned and
jarred Libby's product is everywhere, but it has a touch of sugar that I don't
care for.  And then there's Claussen, a very nice cold-process variety that has
to be kept cold in the packaged deli section.  I've driven all over to find it.
 Safeway doesn't carry any Claussen products, and Frys/Kroger only has the
pickles.  I finally found it in a Basha's grocery store.  It cost more than
twice that of Libby's, but I want decent sauerkraut.

      Claussen also has very good cold process pickles, much better than the
boiled Vlasic, Heinz, etc. varieties.  Funny thing about Heinz:  All we get out
here is the catsup/ketchup and mustard.  Of course, this ain't exactly
Pittsburgh out here.

      I could always walk down to the corner and have a decent bratwurst on
sauerkraut with Boysenberry soda at the Ted's Hot Dogs.  I think it's the only
franchise they have outside of New York.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson