Re: [OM] Praise of E-M1 mk II

Subject: Re: [OM] Praise of E-M1 mk II
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 12:42:20 -0800
On 1/25/2017 2:58 AM, Frank wrote:
This comment of Diglloyd
<https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170107_2242-OlympusEM1_II-Panasonic42_5f1_2-examples-LasVegasStrip.html>
makes me curious:

"There is also something very special going on with the about $1999 Olympus
E-M1 Mark II

. . . although “only” 20 megapixels, the total detail ranks right up there or
exceeds anything I’ve seen from far more expensive cameras with *more*
  megapixels (think Leica M or Leica SL).

I don't know about the Leicas, but the lack of an AA filter on the Oly
contributes to detail quality.

The FAR higher hit rate and total sharpness are unapologetically superior to most of
what I’ve ever gotten
out of Leica.

THE major focus of Oly's promos for the E-M1 II has been speed, in all aspects of operation, including AF. Secondary pitches have been better AF and IBIS. Sensor size aside, all these qualities would tend to contribute to better observed sharpness for a hand held, often low light, street shooter. Wide apertures and slow shutter speeds are both enemies of sharpness.

He is, of course, shooting the Leicas without IS of any kind. He might see less difference with tripod mounted tests. A lot of people mis-attribute causes of sharpness and unsharpness.

Not to put the E-M1 II down. The E-M5 II is already a great camera, with spectacularly good IBIS. More MP, even better IBIS and faster, more accurate AF should make the E-M1 II the world beater some folks claim it to be. I personally don't like the form factor and object to paying for PDAF I don't need for old lenses I don't have.

Small sensor camera with a superb lens punches way beyond its
alleged class. Kudos to Olympus."

Looking forward to list members with this camera sharing results...

What I'd like to know is how much faster the HR mode is. Oly had projected 1/60 sec., with fast enough basic shutter speed, but are not talking about it on this camera. Even slower than that, but faster than the E-M5 II could be useful.

Waiting for Five Three Moose