Re: [OM] OT: Processing Fuji X-T2 Raw files in LR 6

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Processing Fuji X-T2 Raw files in LR 6
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:21:02 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
BPM writes:
<<<<The noise Fuji made was about defeating the moiré problems of Bayer arrays.

Absolutely, as it is the raison d'etre for this CFA.  The downsides include the
large required chroma smoothing radius and
more complex demosaicing algorithms to optimize results. High ISO S/N is
improved though.  Curiously Iridient just announced a Windoze version.  There
is clearly a niche available for this application given the
suboptimal results with ACR.

<<I know Fuji doesn't have IBIS, but I wonder what would happen if they built
in the ability to take two shots in a row, a sensel apart, perhaps diagonally,
It still wouldn't cover every pixel location with a sensel of each color, but
would provide much more <<chroma resolution info for a tricky demosaicing
algorithm.

That should fix it indeed  with super-resolution algorithm and the additional
benefit more chroma data.

Accuraw comment:
<<Or, as I speculate above, might the choice be what Accuraw offers, a
trade-off,
<<depending on subject?

Yes, that is my understanding--at least the photog can pick and adjust.

<<With the Fuji R & B sensels spaced twice as far apart as in a Bayer array,
might we be seeing the limit to color resolution?

Perhaps, as may be less important. What about the eye's sensel arrangement?
Blue cones only constitute 2% of total  and almost none in the fovea--area of
most acute vision.  Now they are a bit more  sensitive but that does not at all
fully compensate for the low numbers.  The final visual perception is about the
same a green and red so must have a blue amplification system in the visual
pathway.  Why is it like this?  Well the lens has a substantial amount of CA
and if the object of interest is "in focus" the blue is moderately OOF.
Indeed Helmholtz is reported to have stated "If an instrument maker handed me
the human eye, I would hand it back."  The occidental lobe PP is tricky though
as it
largely uses the blue info for color and the green and some red for resolution.
 That be said the human visual resolution available for intensively blue
objects is diminished.

Mike