[OM] Of life, photography and transitions

Subject: [OM] Of life, photography and transitions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 11:18:22 -0600
The year 2017 is offering up the potential of being a year of massive
change. For the first time since 1998, we're in a place where we have
no geographical requirements. Sure, there are a few preferences, but
we're actually in free-form thinking right now.

The job is transitioning. I'm looking at the final 15 year segment of
my career and have made the decision that I'm not wanting to coast
out--even though the earning power is pretty decent. I'm willing to
take some risks and a substantial pay cut if it means living life with
no regrets. Frankly, I'm bored with telecom. I just don't want to have
a job that pushes paper.

Our time in Iowa is pretty much over. Unless there is a really big
opportunity that opens up that looks exciting (working at Facebook
maybe?), we're ready and willing to relocate to other places. With the
continuing deterioration in my back, the weather systems that flow
through Iowa mean a lot of brutal pain, so changing to points west or
south could be in order.

I'm going back to college. Taking just one class at the moment, but
having a blast. With all the hours I work (usually 50+), one class at
a time is about the right balance.

I'm thinking about what I want to do and where I want to go, and have
absolutely no idea. It's one of those "I'll know it when I see it"
things, most likely. But for now, it's kinda exciting setting off on
an adventure not knowing where you're going to end up. I just know
that we're ready for change and are willing to get pretty radical
implementing that change.

A half-step idea is moving to Denver. This time, it would be a total
good-bye to Iowa. Not a dual-citizenship kinda thing. There are a ton
of jobs in the telecom industry there, and my recruiter is trying to
get me to relocate there. The money is REALLY good, but I'm also a
little concerned about just jumping into more of the same.

On the photography side of things, I'm not necessarily at a
cross-roads, but am finding a new vision that goes a direction that
might get pretty radical. Again, I'm not looking for more of the same,
but a completely different direction. While I'll keep shooting film,
chances are the darkroom is going to get shuttered permanently. Not
sure yet on that one.

We're both involved in classes and other commitments that take us up
to May or June, but beyond that we have nothing on the schedule or in
our minds that will keep us here after that. Life is good, very good.
It's not that we're escaping anything. It's just that we're ready.

We're finally ready.

Hoping that the company offers another early retirement package--I'll take it.

But, at this time, I have no idea what I want to do. The world is my
oyster. I'm like a teenager again, hitting the "reset button" on life.

AG Schnozz