Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 5: mountains, the city, bike porn, big belly

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 5: mountains, the city, bike porn, big belly
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:16:28 -0500 (EST)
     Yes, those carbon fibre bikes are terribly expensive, but if you are
involved in competitive cycling they are mandatory.

     When I bought my first road bike back in 1974 (which  still have) the rage
was the newly introduced Fuji titanium frame.  Just the frame and fork alone
cost $1,200.00!  The technology was new, and it wasn't learned until later that
the welds would fail.

     The bike I'm working on now is a 1977/78 Motobecane Grand Jubile, which is
the only bike I have with Vitus tubing.  That is/was pretty exotic, saving some
weight while using established steel alloys and often weighing less than
aluminum frames.

     My lightest bikes, a 1984 Motobecane Grand Jubile and a 1984 Motobecane
Super Mirage, weigh in at around 22 pounds.  Next lightest is a 1982 Fuji
Royale II (nicknamed "Bride of Fujistein"), weighing in at 24 pounds.  Their
Valite tubing is somewhat similar to Vitus, and combined with their 414 alloy
their bikes generally ride much lighter than their actual weight.

>As the headline indicates, a rather eclectic collection for last week.
>But that is what the week was about. Some new experiences, some familiar
>ones, the camera always with me:
>
>http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=1804
>
>As always, comments and critique are welcome and appreciated.

Chris the Moto(bécane)maniac