Re: [OM] WinXP vs. Win7

Subject: Re: [OM] WinXP vs. Win7
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 08:16:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Haven't heard of that one.  However, I managed to find my missing Linux
Mint HD.  It was the last of four versions of Linux that I evaluated when
looking for an alternative to Win7.  Of those four, this one worked best, but
the WinXP emulator was still less than fully useful.

     The problem I encountered with Win7 was that it would not allow you to
install certain software that was not fully compatible with Win7, so it did not
matter how well the WinXP emulator worked.  And those that would install still
did not work properly.  Same lack of being fully functional was true with
Linux, so their emulators must be Linux versions of the Win7 emulator.

     There is no acceptable solution to the problem of using Win98/XP software
on Win7 or Linux.  But, I do have a need for a machine that will work fully
with the internet environment that is increasingly hostile.  So, I'm looking
for another #1 laptop that I can simply insert the Linux Mint HD into and use
that setup for internet access.  I can buy one on evilBay for $30 or less, so
it's a far less expensive alternative to buying a Win7 full install CD with a
key, which is $60 or more.