Re: [OM] WinXP vs. Win7

Subject: Re: [OM] WinXP vs. Win7
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 12:10:38 -0800
On 2/11/2017 7:16 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Haven't heard of that one.  However, I managed to find my missing Linux
Mint HD.  It was the last of four versions of Linux that I evaluated when
looking for an alternative to Win7.  Of those four, this one worked best, but
the WinXP emulator was still less than fully useful.

      The problem I encountered with Win7 was that it would not allow you to
install certain software that was not fully compatible with Win7, so it did not
matter how well the WinXP emulator worked.  And those that would install still
did not work properly.  Same lack of being fully functional was true with
Linux, so their emulators must be Linux versions of the Win7 emulator.

Did you understand how it works? It's not clear from your brief description
that you did.

1. It must be Win7 PRO or above. Lesser versions don't work.

2. The emulator called, "Windows Virtual PC", doesn't come with the Win7 install. One must go to the MS site on the net and download it. It's free, but obscure.

3. "Windows Virtual PC" is installed under/into Win7. It's puts an icon and label in the Start Menu. That, in turn, has two subheadings, "Recent Virtual Machines" and "Manage Virtual Machines" The only entry under Recent Virtual Machines in my install is "Windows XP Mode", which was put there as part of the virtual machine installation. I didn't do anything but run the installer, and it all appeared, fully functional.

You start it from the start menu, like any other software. Once running, it's possible to use Alt-Tab or the taskbar to switch to it. Within XP, those only switch between XP windows. There is a special 'underscore, twin box and "X" menu' to get back to Win7.

4. Any XP/earlier software is NOT installed under Win7. As you say, it will either not install or not work properly. You go into the Virtual XP machine, and install the software there.

5. Most of the Win7 file system is not visible in XP, by default, and vice versa. In XP, I can open other disks and directories, as though they are on a different machine. I transfer data in both directions that way.

6. Connection to USB devices directly from XP is apparently tricky, as it depends on the XP drivers passing through somehow. I figured my wireless printer would be a no go, so didn't even try it. I imagine I could connect to it using a USB cable. In any case, for my use, none of that is important, and I prefer to leave it isolated from the net and such, so I haven't used that part.

7. I've only installed a couple of things. The big one is two versions a software development system, one quite old and the other ancient (8 bit??). Neither will even install under Win7 (or Vista), I just get error messages that they are not compatible. They installed and work flawlessly in the XP virtual machine, including the WYSIWYG screen design interface. Switch into the Virtual XP machine, and it's like I never left XP. Switch back, and I'm in a normal Win7 install. The XP "IS" MS XP.

I have never had a single hitch or glitch. No crashes or hangups.

There is no acceptable solution to the problem of using Win98/XP software on Win7 or Linux.

Unless you have done the above, you are wrong.

But, I do have a need for a machine that will work fully with the internet
environment that is increasingly hostile.

Which is what I have - in one machine. As I said, I don't have the XP machine connected to the internet, so I believe it to be safe.

   So, I'm looking for another #1 laptop that I can simply insert the Linux
Mint HD into and use that setup for internet access.  I can buy one on evilBay
for $30 or less, so it's a far less expensive alternative to buying a Win7 full
install CD with a key, which is $60 or more.

Again the distinction to be made for a virtual XP machine is between the Home (and other lesser versions?) and PRO or above versions of Win7. The virtual machine is not available for the lesser versions.

X. P. Moose