Re: [OM] OT: Trip to Austria & Czech Republic

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Trip to Austria & Czech Republic
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:14:24 +0100
<<
We are planning a 3-week trip to Austria and the Czech Republic. Air
tickets are already purchased. Those who have been there: Does the
following number of days in each place seem about right? We are not
"maximum efficiency" travelers who cram as many museums and castles as
possible into each day. We'd rather see a few representative things
fully, with some time to stroll, people-watch and "smell the flowers."
I'm particularly interested in things having to do with music, and we're
up for an excursion to a smaller town or village from any of the
prihcipal destinations. The half days indicate a day that include a 3-4
hour trip on a train or bus)

Vienna:  6 days (omitting "jetlagged" partial day of arrival).
Salzburg: 3.5 days
Cezny-Krumlov (Czech.):  3.5 days
Prague:  5.5 days

All tips and suggestions welcome.
Thanks!
--Peter

I know that everybody does things differently, but your plan is to visit 3
cities and a village. Having spent 2 full weeks in the Czech Republic in
2004, I'd suggest something partially different. I'm a person who likes to
fully enjoy the places I visit, in a relaxed way. I'm also a
semi-professional viola player (it means I have a professional musical
education but I do other things for a living). In Prague (but also Vienna
for what I know), you'll find lot of places with live music. Prague is a
wonderful city but is not fully representative of the whole country: it is
big, it is crowded, and also more expensive, on the plus side you'll find
several people that can speak English. In the rest of the country, I had
to speak German, if you don't and the situation is the same today plan to
learn the minimum 20-30 czech words. My suggestion would be to spend a
little more in the country, just to give you an idea we spent 3 full days
in Prague (4 nights), and the rest in the rest of the country (12 days), I
think that one week traveling in the south would be a pleasure (C.
Krumlov, Trebon, Jindrichuv Hradec, Telc, Tabor, Znojmo). We went there
with my car and without any reservation, I suggest you rent a car for this
part.
I you need some more suggestion let me know, also off list.

Ralf