Re: [OM] OT: Linux Stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Linux Stuff
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 18:52:53 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>It's likely all about permissions/privilege and ownership.

     Yes, that's it exactly.

>System configuration files, and executables should be owned by and only
>be writable by root (usually read and execute permissions are given to
>other users for executables), so you don't need to change the file
>owner, you need to logged in as root to edit it.

     Aha!  And how do you do that?

>There is a tool that gives you privilege escalation on a
>per-command-line basis, 'sudo'.
>
>Can you tell us more about what you need to do, there are a number of
>old hands here if I recall correctly?

     Basically, I need to edit a configuration file that is owned by ROOT.
Seems that a series of SLEEP commands are keeping the network manager from
to be turned into remarks and the file saved.

     In one blog I just encountered, the poster added himself to the ROOT
group, then gave himself all permissions.  That sounds reasonable.

>>      Now I have a little problem that I cannot seem to find
>>understandable help for.  In order to make the needed change to the
>>one confiruation file so it will load up the network manager, I just
>>have to edit the file and save it.  But, I need to establish ownership
>>of the file, or folder, or drive in order to save it.  How do you go
>>about doing that?

     BTW:  The second laptop arrived today also, but I have not yet opened the
box.  I would like to get this little problem solved, install antivirus and
antimalware, update Firefox, set up a few other little things, then move on to
the second laptop.