Re: [OM] Pentax ME Super

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentax ME Super
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:31:04 -0800
On 2/20/2017 2:52 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
      Before I donate this to Tempe Camera, is there anyone here who would like
to have it?  It's surprisingly clean, just needs some repair.
Not really interested. I donated another Pentax recently that had a
similar situation. Actually, donated two Penti as the other worked,
and had a couple of lenses.

As to the batteries, I'm not going to dis the alkalines quite as much
as Polarity Moose. They work and work fine--for a while. The problem
is that they voltage drop so much that by the time they discharge to
50%, they are below the acceptable voltage for the cameras. In the
case of the OM-2S, that battery life is about two days of use, or two
weeks of idle time.

Perhaps it's slightly different on different bodies. On 2n and the various 4 bodies, the trouble is that they develop enough internal resistance that they will drop below critical voltage under the load of the shutter, causing the exposure to fail and leave the mirror up, then bounce back with enough voltage to look good with the test light. Use the manual reset to get the mirror back down. Or take the batteries out, wipe them and put them back in, by then back to voltage, so the mirror comes down. Then the metering seems fine, a shot, or even two work OK, then it fails again.

Just too unreliable/unpredictable.

Caught With Volts Down Moose