Re: [OM] Dappled Light 101 Class Offered?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dappled Light 101 Class Offered?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 13:54:05 -0800
On 2/24/2017 9:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
The subject of the ash tree approached a subject that has been one of
my nemesis for years. How to deal with dappled light.

Photographing in a forest, under trees, etc., has the one challenge to
me of how to address dappled light. It always looks harsh, or brash or
just plain ugly. Highlights draw the eye and those highlights always
distract from the subject.

Or am I alone in this?

Best I ever had was a shot of a child's birthday party at picnic tables under
trees. OM-2n with T32 just nailed it.

Other solutions:

1. Eschew dappled light. :-)

2. Use the Highlight and Shadow sliders in ACR/LR, and/or the the Shadow/Highlight tool in PS to lower contrast only at the light and dark ends, then some LCE in all but the extremes, combine and apply Curves. With a lot of practice ;-) and some nuance, this approach has worked wonders for me in the woods.

3. A more extreme example of 2. is separating tonal regions into masked and feathered layers, and adjusting them separately.

I am assuming that you want the look of dappling, without the extremes that block highlight and/or shadow detail and mess up faces.

A lens with nice, smooth bokeh helps too. The highlights are particularly a problem when they have bright, hard edges. when I was working on my bokeh fixer Action, I found it helped lower highlight distractions. I should get back to it, along with the 17 other projects - and the stuff I actually need to do outside photography.

Dabbling in Dappled Moose