Re: [OM] Beer and a Secret

Subject: Re: [OM] Beer and a Secret
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 22:39:48 -0800
Secret--? Szechuan peppers in the bitters?

No, odder.

Another secret--why google for images now?  I missed it if you said--accustomed
to Zone X or your site.

1. Neither of those sites is very good on phones and tablets. The browser takes up too much screen real estate, so adjustment to get the image itself in the right place is needed for every one. Tap/clicks are also required in specific areas to browse through the images.

Google Photos uses the standard mobile interface, images sized to fit, swipe to
move, expandable images.

2. Even on 'real' computers, both sites, and all others I know of, use relatively small thumbnails - on pages. I get the distinct impression on the list that both my posts of multiple images in galleries and those of others don't get all the looks they might at individual images, if they don't grab one from the thumbnails.

I can make the thumbs larger, I can make the pages longer, to scroll through, but a huge amount of the screen real estate is actually just background. Google's presentation of thumbs as relatively large pieces of a collage makes each much larger, uses space much more efficiently and is, to me, much more inviting.

There are annoying limitations. Labels are only shown on the individual images in browsers; should show as roll overs, too, and not shown on iThingies unless one clicks on Info. EXIF is very limited, but the key stuff, not full of extraneous items like ZX. Direct link to Google Maps is nice.

In any case, there are important people in my life, Carol, for example, who use phone/tablets for almost everything. It's bugged me for a long time that I take photos with, or intended for, her, and she seldom sees them presented well. Now, I share albums with her and other family members and when I add something, they get immediate notification. Then I get notification that they've looked. All that is very nice.

I would like a visit count, to give me an idea what is and isn't getting views.

I'm very open to any other mobile friendly and free/cheap image display app. Any suggestions? I'd intended to post all the same stuff on one or the other of my regular sites. Maybe I will, but both take more time and effort. ZX could use a better selection of EXIF items and a map link.

I'll take a wee bit more than a drop, Mike

That's a craft Pilsner. Not bad at all. Only four taps in this small bar that's part of a Thai restaurant. Two wasted on Hefeweizen and Oatmeal Stout. But this Pilsner and the IPA are fine.

Googly Moose