Re: [OM] Beer and a Secret

Subject: Re: [OM] Beer and a Secret
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:07:30 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<Google Photos uses the standard mobile interface, images sized to fit, swipe
<<move, expandable images.

I suppose you looked at all the usual suspects.  Some sites have too many
features for those selling images and not enough control options for display.
When Zoto cratered I wanted a site to be able to upload full res images and
have the downsize sharpened appropriately on the fly.   With Smugmug the size
limitations per photo are 150 megabytes and 210 megapixels.

Smugmug uses the Lanczosa algorithm which does a pretty decent job and is
configurable.  It is gallery wide however.  If there are many people shots one
can change it.  It is applied  for all the sizes on upload--one can change the
settings and rotate an image and rotate it back and the new display settings
are applied--so it can be individualized as well but takes extra work.   I
believe that is lossless but not sure.  One can delete and re upload of course.
 Their tech support is very good--recall that very odd geotag problem when I
had changed the tagging software time.  They could not directly solve it but
gave me a good clue of what was going on so I could devise a fix.  I like that.
  The map choice they use for the link is only fair, but at least it is there.
I sometimes upload to Zone-X and smugmug

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93250

One  can use any color space of  choice as long as it is sRGB--they were not
amenable to other options last year. They take some pains that display on most
devices is good.  I first noted Nathan seemed to like them a good many years
ago.

Mike