Re: [OM] The Tin Triangle

Subject: Re: [OM] The Tin Triangle
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 16:38:36 +0000
It’s horrible, John!  I only ever entered a Vulcan like that, as a visitor.  I
never flew the dreadful machine.

Yes, the rear crew have departed successfully through the lower hatch.  In
fact, on one occasion a crewman forgot to detach his mic/tel lead and remained
stuck in the hatch as a result; his two colleagues passed him by before he
could retrieve himself and attempt another escape – successful this time.

A colleague of mine on Jaguars had flown Vulcans before his conversion to fast
jets.  He had occasion to eject once, but only after the rear crew and copilot
had gone.  Apparently he flew it for a minute or two with the roof hatch gone,
just to see what it was like.

There have been at least two instances where the rear crew could not escape
because the aircraft was too low – as ChrisT was relating about the “Buff”.

Chris