Re: [OM] sturdy light weight camera tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] sturdy light weight camera tripods
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 14:32:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Hmmm...  I was rummaging around to see what other items I had forgotten
about, and I came across a Quantaray/Sunpak QSX Digi Pro 8500 tripod that I had
bought at a thrift store and set aside.  It's exactly like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quantary-by-Sunpak-Tripod-QSX-Digi-Pro-8500-/252174886352?hash=item3ab6cb65d0:g:~eIAAOSwsFpWS5Yx

     The tripod proper weighs 2 lb 12 oz, and is brushed aluminum (the
Manfrotto 3000 weighs 4 lb).  The column is not a crankup, nor is it
reversible, but it does have a 1/4" stud at both ends.  The legs have an
interesting feature: The top has a rotatable stop that lets you adjust how far
the legs spread out.  When they are spread out all the way but not extended,
this tripod is very sturdy.  And the legs have retractible spikes, which is a
must for field work.

     It has a rather nice Quantaray 3-way head which does not have a model
number, so it and the tripod must be a single item.  It's nicely made of
aluminum castings, has a quick release, and weighs 1 lb 2 oz.

Three-legged Chris