Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 09:33:41 +1030
On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 08:56:43AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

>      True to a degree.  I did install the ubuntu drivers from Dell for
> the chipset(s), and it still failed to work.  I tried a second time with
> the same results.  Then I got the virus, which is not supposed to
> happen.  The two major antivirus vendors that I like, AVG and Avast, no
> longer support Linux, and the free one that was mentioned here has so
> many options that it's impossible to determine which one to use.  That
> plus their install instructions are terribly cryptic.  You would think
> that they would distribute it as a verbose .deb package instead of using
> .gz and have you sort it all out for them.

We come back to operational issues, unfortunately some level of
understanding of what's happening is needed (and that only comes with
research or experience) or you're going to run into problems.  Any
drivers have to be exactly the right version if a binary, or have to be
compiled at install time.

A virus on a Linux system? please detail for an enquiring mind?  this
would be the first instance I've ever heard of first-hand. Malware is
not completety unheard of, but it's very unusual and should be easily
removed without resorting to AV.

davidt