[OM] 600/6.5 on OMD [was: 300/5.3 Mirror Lens [was On topic, well, could

Subject: [OM] 600/6.5 on OMD [was: 300/5.3 Mirror Lens [was On topic, well, could be ...]]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:34:49 -0800
> On 2017-03-10, at 03:16, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> As I think about it, the OM 300/4.5, other than size/weight, would be a
> better MF choice, as well. Pretty decent IQ - and - you can stop it down.

Yea, I’d agree, except for one thing: portability. You can throw a mirror in
your bag on speculation that you might use it, whereas the 300/4.5, well, you
gotta have a reason to haul it along!

Aside: anyone have any tricks for getting the OMZ 600/6.5 to perform on a
digital body? I’ve tried multiple tripods, weights, stopped-down, shutter
release delay, IS on/off — I just can’t get that sucker to be sharp.

This one was taken hand-held with the OMZ 500/8 mirror, on E-3 with 4/3rds
adaptor and IS set to “500”:
        http://www.EcoReality.org/images/P8046832.jpg

Typical mirror-lens flat contrast, which punches up nicely with a simple tweak
in Aperture:
        http://www.EcoReality.org/images/P8046832%20-%20Version 2.jpg

So I go back up on the mountain toting the 600/6.5 and two tripods, seeking a
“more better” image. This was the BEST of a half-dozen different tries:
        http://www.EcoReality.org/images/P8257437.jpg

You can’t see it well in this 1024px image, but when blown up, it shows signs
of vertical movement.

This is the set-up, except I hung my camera bag on the lens, between the two
tripods. Didn’t help much!
        http://www.EcoReality.org/images/P1011150.jpg

I’ve always liked this lens on an OM film body, but now it just sits on the
shelf.

Anyone have better results to report? If so, how?