Re: [OM] OT] MS W10

Subject: Re: [OM] OT] MS W10
From: brian gray via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 12:59:23 +0000
Cc: brian gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ChrisB said:

<Microsoft was late to the Internet, it put Netscape out of business and tried to
re-shape html with IE by ignoring web standards.  Its crappy Outlook Express might
have been instrumental in the spread of spam and now it has a new crappy Internet
tool.  You?d think that they would have learned . . .>

But they know that through good marketing they have an effective monopoly with
desktop computers (not tablets or smartphones) apart from experts using Apple
products.  Thus I have not heard of a school or college, or a course for older
computer novices using laptops, which does not start with Windows products.
And try finding text books/manuals in the library for anything other than
Windows or Apple  software for day to day use; apart perhaps for Adobe software.
I used to use Netscape, and then Firefox, but had to keep IE available as bank
and government web-pages sometimes would only open in IE.   I still use Corel
office software at home but know how difficult it is to find advice if
required.  LibreOffice (was Sun Office)is still around but I doubt many use it
in preference to Microsoft's or Google's free cloud based products as an
alternative to Microsoft Word.
Technical merit is not enough in this world and there are advantages in using
the same software as the majority around you.  I would not bet on Edge not
reaching a similar majority position unless tablets finally replace laptops and
desktops as seems possible.

Mentioning photography (!), what proportion of photographs nowadays are taken
on dedicated cameras rather than smartphones?  In this case, most people carry
phones around but not cameras.

Brian