Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:23:32 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      On the news yesterday it was revealed that here in the US 80%
>>of kids cannot tell time by looking at a clock.  I'm the opposite: I
>>look at the numbers and imagine the face of a clock to know what the
>>time is.
>
>This is not unreasonable, it's about exposure.   how many people in the
>US can deal with metric efficiently?  I was at primary school when the
>conversion happened here in australia (1974 IIRC) and have no trouble
>working in either system, but my sons are as lost if I say '3 feet' or
>'2 inches', as my dad is if I say '1 metre' or '50 millimetres' (I'm
>sure he even still converts the speedometer reading in his head :) ).

     When we lived in France, it was my unspoken duty to translate the French
speed limit signs into mph, roughly 5/8 mile for 1 km.  That may be how I ended
up doing math in my head.

     I loved the Michelin road maps.  They were almost as good as
topographicals, just lacking the altitude contours.  That's probably why I very
rarely ever us a GPS for navigation, and have only triangulated with a compass
once or twice in the past 30 years.

Chris Trask
N7ZWY / WDX3HLB
Senior Member IEEE