Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 101, Issue 17

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 101, Issue 17
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:25:40 -0700
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We've been diving headlong into using photovoltaics, batteries, and power inverters is a
solution, but a much older form, more than a century old, is used widely in southeast
Asia, the South Pacific, and elsewhere, known as "steam-jet refrigeration".  It
has no moving parts except for a small fluid pump, and the only electric power needed is
for that pump plus the usual circulation fan.  It is more reliable and far less expensive.
Interesting… got a link?

I’ve been interested in “Einstein refrigeration” for some time. (Any body remember
“The Mosquito Coast,” with Harrison Ford?)

The Einstein Cycle has NO MOVING parts, and requires only ammonia, water, and a
bit of H2, to run forever, with no moving parts!

I'm interested in why you would be interested in a design that has never gone commercial for more than a tiny, specialized use. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator>

According to the "Present Day" section it seems that even recent, relatively high powered efforts haven't delivered something practical.

The somewhat different absorption design used commercially by Dometic and others, for RVs, remote dwellings, etc. also has no moving parts and will run off any heat source. The one in our little RV has Propane, 12 VDC and 110 VAC heaters that all work equally well. The closest thing to a part that wears out from use is the propane heater, which relies on an electronic spark generator and has a 'carburetor' that, at least on ours, can be damaged by the corrosive effects of propane and get all gucked up. I cleaned it up, so it works properly again - and now carry a spare.

I’ve got two of these refrigerators cluttering up the place that my spouse would like
to see removed. They nominally run on kerosene, but I keep thinking I’m going to
convert them to run on WOOD CHIPS, by gawd.

May I assume these aren't actually Einstein-Szilárd designs, but cousins of my
Dometic?

  Or build a solar tracker that would run them directly, with no solar panels.
(Yea, right.)

Doesn't that defeat the no moving parts reliability? Solar panels and electric heating unit seems likely to be more reliable, no?

Sun Powered Moose