Re: [OM] A different one.

Subject: Re: [OM] A different one.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 22:47:02 -0700
The flower view through the wings is something I've rarely seen.

Yeah, sorta glows!

Looks like you are using the PL 100-400 -- using a CU diopter too,
presumptively, as  images don't look cropped by that much.

YesBut. It's all a bit tricky, one might even say convoluted.

The images were indeed taken with Pentax T226 achromatic C-U lens. Immediately after, I took a shot of a snail on a leaf a little further away, then removed the C-U lens and shot it again. The native shot is about 81% the size of the C-U one. If I up/downsize them to size match each other, the native lens shot is slightly, but distinctly, sharper. (It does look like the focal planes match.)

OTOH, the Bee Fly shots are shot from a little closer than the lens will focus on its own, an estimated 1.1 m, vs. the spec minimum of 1.3 m. Moving back to 1.3 m would make the magnification disparity greater, but might I have gotten slightly sharper images? I dunno. Practically, when ephemeral subjects show up, it's grab and shoot what's on the camera.

In practice, the T226 may not be the best choice. Adding it's 2260 mm FL to the distance from it's front to the sensor, it's maximum focal distance from sensor is ~2.54 m, so there's a huge overlap with the 1.3 m native close focus. If, like the 14-140, the lens was soft at the long end and closest focus, the choice would be different. When focus at 40 m, through a C-U lens, is softer than @ 2.45 m without, though . . .

The T132 1.6 m max. overlaps much less with the native lens, and it magnifies more. The 0.95 m of the 5T leaves a coverage gap, but that's usually not an issue.

Given that the lens itself performs very well @ 400 mm CF with the 5T, it will
be the T132 and 5T in the bag for now.

Worked fine in any event.  Like the working distance better than your fine
prime macro?

The 60/2.8 is a fine lens, for actual macro work, stand/tripod, unmoving subject, etc. What they don't tell you (nor do others, like the 60/2.8 Canon FF macro) is that, as an internally focusing lens, at closest focus it's FL is down more like 40-45 mm. The working distance is totally impractical for this kind of photography.

2/3 of a meter with 5T and 1.3 m with T132 - from the front of the lens - is really usable. I really should get around to a more careful test of the T132, but I'm out of round TUITs just now and practical results have been good.

Trying to  peer behind the curtain, Mike

Manipulating the Levers Moose