Re: [OM] OT - Hacking Microwaves

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Hacking Microwaves
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 13:24:50 -0700
> From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Yep, we're using a microwave bought in 1990, still works like new, it's a
> cheap Sharp that we bought because we were doing house renovations and
> didn't have a proper kitchen !

We have a lot of people coming and going on the farm, volunteers, renters,
visitors, etc.

One guy — who was so superstitious and irrational that he would use a cell
phone, but wouldn’t eat food cooked in a microwave — used the microwave AS A
TIMER for his stove-top cooking! Note that he didn’t use the “timer function”
on the microwave; he actually TURNED THE THING ON for the duration he wanted to
cook on the range!

These things aren’t meant to operate no-load, and eventually it quit working. I
opened ‘er up, and found the HV power supply cap was shorted. Rummaged around
the shop and found something similar and installed it… still wouldn’t power up.
Then I found that the over-temp thermal breaker was permanently open. Just
shorted that sucker out… next time we have an idiot using the microwave for a
timer, we’ll just replace it and take it out of his security deposit.

Sheesh. Kids these days. When I was his age, we had to watch television by
candlelight, because they hadn’t invented electricity yet!