Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!

Subject: Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 22:21:01 +1030
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:05:48AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
>      Which reminds me:  I owe David Thatcher a sincere thanks for patiently
> helping me solve the problems with Linux, but in the end the problems proved
> to be insurmountable.  I doubt that there is anyone on this planet who can
> get that to work.

You're welcome, Chris, and I'm sorry that we were not able to achieve.
As I said, my exposure is BSD unix (which *mostly* translates), and a
little  Raspbian (debian linux for the raspberry pi)...

While we were discussing the external modems, I bought another USB modem
(it looks *identical* to the one I had some success with under Linux and
FreeBSD), but sadly it turns out it's an HSF type (the kind I was
whining about).   These were the sort of things that are used in
laptops.  It's not a total loss, it will be for use in my windows
machines anyway - where I use them for the occasional FAX.

I suspect this modem type is what is integrated in your Dell (and if so,
I just feel sorry for the farmer :)  )

I now have an example of the 'problem' device, at least - so I may give
the linuxant drivers a look (see how the Pi likes them). maybe too late
in this instance, but I'm sure the exposure won't hurt me!

davidt