Re: [OM] OT: Speaking of Nostalgia...

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Speaking of Nostalgia...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 12:48:43 -0500
ContraMoose wrote:
> Gotta disagree, dood. The E-3 and 5 just weren't good enough beyond the
> faithful.

I think that is what I said, albeit rather clumsily. Had Olympus put a
decent sensor in the E-3, it would have clobbered the universe. But
you can't play in the pro photography realm with a sensor that just
isn't competitive. The E-3 is excellent at many things, but going
head-to-head with a 5D series camera isn't one of them. But the lenses
that Olympus did create were absolutely wonderful, dollar-for-dollar,
against the competition. But we were saddled with substandard cameras.
Hmm. History did repeat itself.

> My opinion is that 4/3 was already terminal, in the marketplace, but for the
> shouting and hand wringing, before µ4/3 debuted. Fortunately, they made the
> move before it was too late for them in the camera business.

Actually, I think it was too late. They really only had about a year
jump on Fuji and Sony. Sure, O/P had multiple cameras before that
time, but they were "toy" cameras, not professional or enthusiast
cameras. It pains me to say this, but there really isn't a m4/3 camera
that has more than a passing interest for me. When I do go mirrorless,
it's either Sony or Fuji or heaven-forbid, Canon. (when they
eventually get it together).

Yet I have three Four-Thirds bodies that aren't going anywhere. In
fact, I'll take advantage of the abandoned system like I did with the
OM system and acquire a couple more lenses for it. I really want a
14-54 Mk2 and the PanaLeica 14-150. But I'm spending all my money on
school right now.

> I don't know how it will play out, but with the E-M1 II, they've taken
> another big step forward, bringing overall speed and AF into full
> competitiveness with all but the monster pro DSLRs.

AF performance and speed is a constant moving target. Where it is
right now is excellent for all but the rarest of applications. If I'm
a NFL Super Bowl game from down at the line, I'd be renting the best
Canon bodies and lenses from LensRentals.

> The people I think may have lost their minds are the µMF/FF+ makers. Depends
> a lot on whether their sales projections are realistic or not, I suppose.
> Lots of sound and fury on the fora and blogs, but what kind of sales will
> that turn out to be?

I think you are referring to the new breed of mirrorless medium
formats? I'm actually a little surprised at one brand that is missing
from the list. It's been my understanding that a certain "much loved
brand" here on the list had this in development since 2007.

AG Schnozz